People everywhere are graciously welcoming the new season of spring. Not only is this time of year synonymous with warmer temperatures and outdoor activities, but springtime is also known for the lengthy process of spring cleaning. Sometimes the utilities, including plumbing, need spring cleaning attention too. As homeowners prepare to begin spring cleaning, The Phoenix plumbing professionals are reminding everyone to review their home plumbing systems.
Here are ten tips to ensure your plumbing is in tip top condition:
- Check all home faucets for drips or leaks and make repairs to save water. Ensure that all drains have strainers to prevent hair, soap and debris from clogging the drain lines.
- Check your toilets for hidden leaks. Add six drops of food coloring to the toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, color will appear in the bowl within 30 minutes.
- Inspect toilet tank and bowl for any cracks or leaks.
- Make sure your toilets flush properly. If the handle must be held down or jiggled, you may need to replace parts.
- Check the temperature setting on the water heater. It should be set no higher than 120°F to prevent scalding and reduce energy use.
- Consider replacing a water heater more than 15 years old. Newer water heaters are more energy efficient and will help save money on your bills.
- Pour a gallon of water into infrequently used drains (including floor drains) to fill the trap and prevent odors from entering the house. Slow floor drains should be snaked to ensure they will carry away water quickly in the event of a flood.
- Check exposed pipes under sinks and in the basement for signs of leaks.
- If your home has a sump pump, make sure it operates properly by pouring a few buckets of water into the sump pit. The pump should quickly turn on, discharge the water then shut off without any problems.
- Review your yard drains, gutters and downspouts and make sure they are clean, open and free of debris.
If you have any questions, it’s always best to ask a professional. Many plumbing services even offer free first-time consultations.