Carpet, especially the expensive persian carpets, are considered as a life time investment. Once we purchase it we hardly think of replacing it unless there is any irreversible damage that is caused. The boredom of seeing the same carpet again and again is overcome by shifting the carpets between rooms. But ideally speaking a carpet last to a maximum of only 10-15 years and in some cases even up to 20 years and it is best to replace it after that time period. But there are certain signs that you should look out for and acts as an indicator that it is time to replace the carpet even though it has not hit the 20 years mark. Let’s have a quick look at those signs
- Wrinkling of carpet: As stated earlier, most of the carpets last for around 10-15 years. But in some cases the support of the padding might come off and the carpet starts wrinkling. This acts as the first indication that it’s time to replace the carpet.
- Tearing of carpets: Sometimes carpet tends to tear off fast especially in heavy traffic areas. Torn carpets look not only unpleasant but also is dangerous as people might trip and fall. Small tears can be repaired by professionals. But if it becomes irreparable, then it is time to dispose off the carpet.
- Odors: Spilled food items, liquids, urine etc emits a foul smell when not cleaned properly. People usually wipe and clean the top surface but these particles might seep into the padding and can cause mold formation. Hence if the odor persists, it is best to replace the carpet.
- Stains: The above items that emits odor in carpet can sometimes leave stains which is difficult to clean. Most of the professional carpet cleaners are able to work on the stain. But in light colored carpet, these stains might look more prominent. Hence it is best to dispose off the old one and go for a new one.
- Matting down: Matting down is another sign that the carpet is ready for replacing. This is particularly so in case of polyester carpets as the fiber in such carpets are not resilient. Once the fiber falls off then it will not return back to its upright position and this can affect the very appearance of the carpet. Hence it would be wise to get the carpet replaced in such situations. The same is the case with looped carpets made of Olefin. Olefin is a relatively cheaper material and can cause accumulation of oil. Professional cleaning of the carpet might not clear the accumulated oil and dirt and hence it is best to replace the carpet.
- Instances of allergies: If your family members are repeatedly facing allergy in spite of taking precautions, then your old carpet can be the culprit. This can be another indication that it is time to replace the carpet.
- More than 20 years: Experts are of the opinion that if your carpet is more than 20 years, then it is best to get it replaced even though it looks new and do not pose any health issues.